Mom Life

The day in the life of a “real” Mom

Gymboree Sale On Now!

As I sit and try to remember what I need to do tomorrow, I am also reflecting on the events of my day.  Which also feels like yesterday… and I am exhausted.

Crazy 8 Sale On Now!


This is how it started…

5:31 a.m.

I hit snooze on the alarm, and continue to do so until my groggy eyes lock eyes on the number’s 6:07.  Crap.  I roll out of bed and make my way downstairs to find that my little guy is already watching T.V.  I make my coffee and join him on the couch.

6:19 a.m.

I convince my husband to get Lucy out of bed and with a few morning snuggles, he is off to work!  I convince the kiddos to eat a little breakfast and then the nagging begins.



“You have to get dressed or you’re going to miss the bus!!!”


"real" mom

This is the time Mommy pops her gummies!

6:59 a.m

I am out the door with one kid for the bus!  I come home to another that refuses to ride the bus because he’s “not going to school” because apparently, Lucy skips school all the time.  With the refusal of brushing his teeth, or getting off the couch for that matter, we make a facetime call to Daddy.  With some convincing, we get him to go use some mouthwash (sometimes you have to take what you can get) and while there we find Lucy’s bottom expander.  Ugh.

Considering, I wasn’t planning on going into school I now had to at least brush my teeth and put on a t-shirt that didn’t have Santa on it in the middle of September.  As I am in the bathroom brushing my teeth I heard my phone ring once and then not again so I just continued getting ready.  When I got to my closet, my phone rang again and this time I was able to answer.  It was the bus driver, she had a very disgruntled Lucy on the bus because she forgot her bottom expander… I get off the phone with her and Jackson says, “Who was that?”

I reply, “Mrs. Doreen, she was calling to tell me that Lucy forgot her expander.”

He says, “Oh, guess I shouldn’t have hung up on her then.”


He said, “yeah, she just called but I didn’t know who it was so I just hung up.”

Sure, that seems reasonable, insert Mommy’s eyeroll…

7:29 a.m.

Since both of us are now in school appropriate clothing, I head downstairs only to remember that I still hadn’t packed Jackson’s lunch and had to be out of the house in 6 minutes.  In my usual morning yelling voice, I tell him to get his shoes on quickly as I am shoving lunch items into his bag.  From there, I yell for him to run upstairs to get the expander that I almost left the house without!  I throw it in a sandwich bag and we are out the door!

Of course, when we arrive at the school, we are literally the last car to show up and are hardly on time.  I throw the car in park, get out of the car and head for the poor guidance counselor that helps oversee the children getting into school safely.  Looking a disheveled mess, I try to hand him the sandwich baggie with a pallet expander in it and explain that I could also park in the parking lot and run it into the school to her.  Confused, the poor soul takes it from me and agrees to get it to her.  I then head back for Jackson and get his poor pouty face out of the car and rush him into school.

7:49 a.m.

I am finally home to lick the wounds of my #momfail kind of morning and finish my second cup of coffee.  Just like every Tuesday, I get ready to go to the auction.  Here, I was told by an approximately 84-year-old man that I “look mean”.  I still can’t even decide if I take offense to that.  What do you say? No, I’m just tired as a mother.  No, sorry, I’m just picturing my pouty face five-year-old, that in reality is having the time of his life in school.  I just giggled and kept walking.

12:42 p.m.

On my way back home, I had to stop at Wal-Mart because we were out of milk, creamer (a.k.a life) and yoohoo (a.k.a Jack’s life).  When I got home, I had to re-wash the laundry that I had put in the washer yesterday because it never made it to the dryer and vacuum up the tumbleweeds of dog hair.

1:40 p.m.

I remember that I didn’t eat lunch and eat a bowl of cereal.  Since I only had less than an hour left until I get the kids off of the bus I tell myself I’m going to do a little work but really I just stared at the computer in a somewhat catatonic state.

2:48 p.m.

The kids are off the bus and over the moon excited about their group play date.  A couple of the second-grade girl Mom’s had all decided that we would shoot for a play date every other week with all of the girls.  This Tuesday, the girl that was hosting also has a little brother in Jackson’s class.  Graciously her Mom invited him over to play as well!  Since Jackson hadn’t been over a friends house before and he always gets stuck playing with his sister’s friends, he was super excited!

We take a little time to relax and read a library book before it is time to head over.

3:30 p.m.

We arrive at the playdate (which is not even a mile from home).  Of course, Lucy was so excited that she forgot the Shopkins she was going to exchange with her friends.

This would be my first trip back home and then back to the friend’s house and then back home.  Once there, I sit down at the table and tell the Husband about the kids day.

4:40 p.m.

“Jackson says he really misses you and wants to come home.”  Back to the friend’s house, and then back home.

4:59 p.m.

Pizza Hut arrives.  Yes, on a day like today, we are the kind of family that enjoys their pizza from a hut.

5:59 p.m.

Back to the friend’s house and then off to take another friend home.  (It takes a village.)  Jackson and Daddy were going to join us but since Daddy was going to be at a movie with a friend during bedtime, Jackson was back to his pouty face state of disaster.

6:24 p.m.

Back at home, I heat up a slice of pizza for Lucy to eat for dinner and send her to get a shower.

7:24 p.m.

I can’t even tell you what happened to the last hour, but the kids are brushed and very much ready for bed!  Since Daddy wasn’t home, Jackson’s tuck-in required a “special Mommy snuggle”, his “crying pillow” and his most precious stuffed animals.  Thankfully the “crying pillow” was able to stay pretty dry because he was out like a light.

7:59 p.m.

Here I am sitting with my thoughts and trying to separate tomorrow’s tasks with ones that may or may not have happened today….

If you are still reading and your head hasn’t exploded and you haven’t fallen asleep,  I just want you to know that all Mom’s fail.  Some days we do it more than others and some days we kill it and get it all right with no tears.  But those Mom’s you see on Facebook, or TV aren’t “real” Moms.  Pulling up to school with toothpaste, in your hair is a “real” Mom.  And while we are all guilty of just posting how glam the kids look on picture day, or how much fun we are having at the amusement park, behind the scenes we probably failed a lot that day.  And that’s ok!  Being perfect has to be boring.  It is time to let go of the Mom guilt because it is SO real and it is SO unrelenting!  As long as your kids are happy and healthy, you just keep killing it, Mama!

*Post may contain affiliate links. I do not promote products I do not use and love myself.

12 thoughts on “The day in the life of a “real” Mom

    1. It’s so hard not to feel guilty about every little thing you get wrong! I’m trying to get out of that mindset and you should too! I’m sure you are doing great!! ❤️

  1. I feel the same way…like some days just go by in a blur. I’ll realize that I have not eaten or brushed my teeth! That is being a real mom! Some days I am just in a stupor, but my daughter is (always) awake and happy, so I have to be doing something right!

Leave a Reply